Friday 24 February 2023

Letters Home

                                                            


In Literacy this week,  Year 5 have been looking at letters from World War Two.

The children have read a range of letters and identified the following features:

  • the senders address
  • the date
  • an appropriate greeting
  • written in first person
  • an informal tone
  • details of events that have taken place
  • feelings
  • sender signs off at the end

They have been using their resourcefulness skills to begin writing their own letters. The children have put themselves in the shoes of an evacuee and used their inference skills to write their first letters home. 


The children are excited to be finishing their letters next week. 



“I have used adjectives like nice and welcoming to describe my host in my letter.” Finley, Redwood 


“I am writing a letter based on the book Letters from the Lighthouse. I have included ambitious adjectives like yellow shards of light.” Luke, Willow 


“ I really enjoyed pretending to be an evacuee,  it was so interesting to write from their viewpoint and explain how they were feeling.” Kevin, Maple 





No comments:

Post a Comment