Friday 3 November 2023

Year 5 Get Very Victorian


 Year 5 Get Very Victorian 

This week, Year 5 have immersed themselves in their new topic (the Victorian Era). They started reading their new class book ‘Street Child’ by Berlie Doherty and began researching the life of children who were unfortunate enough to live in workhouses during the Victorian era. The Year 5 children were extremely reflective and compared the lives of children back then to children now. On Tuesday , children were invited to try some gruel! 


"I thought the gruel was good!" Rosie, Lime




“ Yuk, I cant believe this is all they had !” Khakifa, Almond

"I was so scared to try the gruel, but I don't think I could get used to eating this every day!" - Chisom, Oak

Later on in the week, Year 5 visited the Ragged School Museum in London. Children were invited to dress up as a Victorian as they spent the day experiencing life as a child back then. They showed impressive resilience as they took part in a Victorian lesson.                  

   


"I can't believe how people were treated in Victorian times - like the girls being treated differently from the boys." Ryan, Lime 




“I had so much fun today. I think I want to be a Victorian.” Billie, Almond 



"You would come home from school, make 140 match boxes just to earn a few pennies. They still wouldn't have enough shillings for food" - Harvey, Oak









No comments:

Post a Comment